I get asked a lot if the method I described in my ebook will work for non-eucalypts. These samplers are a good example of the results you can get using different types of leaves. Following on from the first experiment I documented, these leaves were left to soak for about 2 months before I used them, and it really made a difference! Some of the leaves printed better than others, but I really enjoyed seeing how so many different types of leaves, some native to Australia and some introduced species, can produce such clear and beautiful prints.
I sandwiched the leaves between two different pieces of cotton, to observe the difference in the prints produced from each side of each leaf:
These prints are of the ‘sky-facing side’ of the leaves (where applicable). Most produced a lot of colour, and the leaf outlines and veins are crisp and clear. They are printed onto a yellow woven cotton, which has created beautiful green hues for many of the leaves, in contrast with the bluer prints below.
These prints are of the ‘earth-facing side’ of each leaf, on a white stretch cotton. Some still printed very clearly, especially the maple, oak and blackberry leaves, while others produced only faint outlines.
2 thoughts on “Good leaves to use for eco-printing: experiment two”
a good experiment and it will help our eco dyers thanks x colleen c
Gosh this post is quite old now. I’ve learnt a lot since then, but I think the most important takeaway still stands – that experimentation is the best way to learn and to improve our skills. Happy eco-printing Colleen!